Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ardagh Part I - 2013

I'm a bit late with this post but finally got through all the photos I took in Ardagh, Co. Longford, Ireland! It was a beautiful day and I got tons of photos. This first blog post is actually part one or three! :-o So I will link the others in this post when they're up. I will also upload all photos to Flickr and Facebook when I have all blog posts up so it will be exclusively on here for awhile hehe! Anyhow enjoy the first batch of photos and be sure to let me know what you think!


We parked just beside a tree in the grounds of St. Brigid's Church. This photo was taken under it of just the end of the Church on the left and on the right a house (priests house maybe?) and the green in the center. 



St. Brigid's Roman Catholic Church




Out the back of the church there is a lovely walkway through trees.


Pretty Steve!


The ruins of St Mel's Cathedral which was founded by St. Patrick and St. Mel was the first Bishop. Read more about it here. It has some great history.


A grave in the graveyard beside the ruins of St Mel's. The flowers look like Forget-Me-Nots but I think they're too dark in colour? I don't know much about the flower so let me know if you have any idea what it is. It looked lovely all along the grave.



St Patrick's Church of Ireland was built in 1810. The entrance to the churchyard is marked by a Lych Gate where the coffins of the dead were traditionally met by a clergyman. The lych gate is a very unique feature of this building and is amongst one of the few surviving in Ireland. Got that info from here.



Two more blog posts to come with lots of photos! Don't forget to like my Facebook page and follow me on my Flickr :)






No comments: